If anything, Manchester United look more rigid and more structured under Louis Van Gaal than they did during the last days of David Moyes.Ā Whilst thereās certainly reason to question the individual performances of certain players, it really just appears as if this side is struggling to understand the system around them - or at least, they donāt yet feel comfortable enough within it to use it to their advantage.
Here are the statistics from Turf Moor:
- Jonny Evans had 105 touches of the ball, the most in the game.
- Robin van Persie led the game with 3 shots.
- Van Persie also hit the target with more attempts than any other player (2).
- Juan Mata completed 97% of his passes, the highest amongst all starting players.
- Jason Shackell won 7 aerial duels, the most in the game.
- Antonio Valencia record 5 tackles, a game-high.
- Phil Jones and Tyler Blackett each made 6 interceptions, the most in the game.
- Jason Shackell made 14 successful defensive-clearances, more than any other player (shown below courtesy of Squawka)
- Antonio Valencia attempted double the amount of crosses of any other player (12) yet completed none of them.
- Darren Fletcher attempted (12) and completed (11) more long-passes than any other player.
- Ashley Young completed 5 successful dribbles, a game-high.
- Lukas Jutkiewicz, Jason Shackell, and Juan Mata were all fouled a game-high 3 times.
- Wayne Rooney, Robin van Persie and Scott Arfield were the most-dispossessed players in the game (3).
Ā Statistics courtesy of WhoScored.com.