If there’s been one doubt about Liverpool’s title credentials all the way through 2014, then it’s been centred around their defence - and last night really emphasises how much work Brendan Rodgers has to do on his back-four over the Summer.
Well done to Crystal Palace, though, because with their season over and their Premier League status secure they really didn’t have much to play for at 0-3. Here are the statistics from Selhurst Park:
- Mamadou Sakho had 100 touches of the ball, more than any other player.
- Luis Suarez led the game in shots (7) and shots on-target (3).
- Joe Allen and Steven Gerrard each created 5 goal-scoring opportunities, a game-high.
- Martin Skrtel led the game with a pass-completion rate of 96%.
- Marouane Chamakh won 8 aerial-duels, more than any other player.
- Joe Allen made 5 tackles, the most in the game.
- Mile Jedinak, Damien Delaney, and Jon Flanagan all made 3 interceptions, the most in the game.
- Mamadou Sakho led the game with 8 defensive-clearances.
- Steven Gerrard completed more crosses than any other player (4).
- Gerrard also attempted (14) and completed (11) more long-passes than any other player.
- Yannick Bolasie completed 8 successful dribbles, a game-high.
- Joel Ward and Marouane Chamakh were the most-fouled players in the game (3).
- Raheem Sterling was dispossessed twice as many times as any other player (4).
Latest article for Squawka: Stoke’s evolution under Mark Hughes